Sunday, February 6, 2011

http//salslondonmarathonjourney2011 - Google Search

Hello
Mid December I got caught at a weak moment by Anna Tredant, herself a marathon runner, asking
if I would like a place with Variety, in this years Virgin London Marathon.....and I said YES!!!!!
2 days later - after a hard gym training session, I ended up with a horrendous chest infection which
prevented me doing any training at all - until January 16th 2011!
NIGHTMARE!!!!

Having always been a swimmer - and never a runner, this was always going to be the biggest challenge I was to ever undertake.
Therefore I needed as much time and sensible training as possible.....

This medical delay was therefore rather annoying to say the least!

We organised a Charity Aquathon at the pool on Sunday January 9th raised £230 - thanks to the AquaSplash for letting me do that, and also
to JP and Leigh for giving up their Sunday morning to help teach the 2 hours.

So, with Cliff's advice, and Annette and Chantelle (Rose's) help and constant support, Annette came up with an acheivable training schedule for me.....re-vamping
it for when I actually started on January 16th! with just 14 weeks to go!

The countdown was on....I now with no less that 3 Perseonal Trainers, had to stay healthy, uninjured,strong and eat well.

I attended the first Variety team run at Les Quennevais on Jan 16th - it turned into a bit of a disaster as my shins started to
pain me - as they had when I walked into walk a couple of times...thought it was the shoes - so tried others - and they seemed better..

Anyway - it was a lovely day and we plodded through 3.75 miles - and I managed to plod the last mile comfortably.
We followed that with a sea 'ice dunk' at Belcroute - which was great!

So not totally disastrous and everyone I spoke to me kept reassuring me that I would be 'absolutely fine' ! " If you can swim the Channel
- you can run the London Marathon" - er - it really is not the same I can assure you - I kept telling , and still tell people who say that to me!
I HAD NEVER RUN MORE THAN 6K BEFORE!

I was also starting to do Aqua on Mondays. Wed and Friday mornings to help stretch me out totally, which was/is nice...

Onwards; first 'temp session' with Annette along the sea front on Tuesday 18th Jan - different and fun - it had me warming up and then
going faster for a minute - intespersed with a recovery minute - did this 10 times and plodded back for some stretches in the gym!
Wed - Aqua
Thursday 20th - Fartlek session with Annette at St Catherines - hard, but great fun, followed by a nice dunk and lovely cuppa coffee after.
Friday am - Aqua
Saturday - now my official rest day..

Sunday 23rd - 10k today!!!!! 12 weeks to go!!!!
Under the watchful eye of Annette with her Garmin (must get mine sorted out!!!)
Also accompanied by Annette and Chantelle Rose - this triple combination is turning out to be amazing - and
is making my training so much easier and more bearable..still suffered with my shins in the first mile today..
PB - 10K from Jersey Pearl to Le Braye and inland and back to the car - LOVED IT!!!
Stretched out together - ate bananas - and laughed lots!!
Today was the day Annette shared her story of the 'sperm flavoured/textured' power gels!!!!!
Whoo Hoo!!!
Mile 1 - 19m 31s; Mile 2 - 18m 16s; Mile 3 - 17m 21s; Mile 4 - 17m 28s; Mile 5 - 16m 48s; Mile 6 - 16m 20s
AWESOME DAY! Thanks Girls!

Monday 24th Aqua AM and went to see Morag (Physio); no shin splints and my running gait seems fine; all reassuring..

Tuesday 25th - Gait & shoe analysis with Craig meredith - nuetral running gait - and limbering up exercises given..
worth avery minute....thanks Craig!
2nd Tempo session today - 10 times 2mins @70% each frollowed with a 'delicious' recoevery minute - followed by jogging back
and stretching out in the gym ..fairly sore today..

Wed - Aqua
Thurs - 'fartlek session' planned with Annette BUT - it was extremely cold & windy; my shins were nasty and it was
not a nice experience BUT after 30 mins, I did manage to plod back to the car - so no fartlek - just a
plod - which was fine; quick coffee in Les Fontaines afterwards..

Friday Aqua
Saturday - rest day and 'bucket shake' at Grand Marche, 2 till 4pm..

Sunday 30th - 8 miles!!!!! 11 weeks to go!
Jersey Pearl, to La Pulente, back to le Braie and then inland again - great fun - more silly storie, lots more laughing and
I DID 8 MILES!!!! Was supposed to be 7 - but albeit slowly & consistently, and the last 4 miles got a little quicker too! 2 Hours 17mins
Mile 1 - 17m9s; Mile 2 - 19m34s (with stretching); Mile 3 - 16m42s;Mile 4 - 17m.34s; Mile 5 - 18m 12s +pee stop); Mile 6 - 16m 40s;
Mile 7 - 16m 24s and miel 8 - 16m 12s!!!!!
I was delighted - thanks again Girls!
Quick coffee before heading to st Cats for a dunk only, could not get in today - either too slippery or too rough! GGrrrrr!
BTW - my Garmin is now being worn and used - I'm sure i need to learn more about it though!

Monday 31st - Aqua
Tuesday Feb 1st - tempo session on my own - with my ipod!!!
Bike warm up, 20 min jog warm up AND 8 X 2 mins @ 70% plus a 3 minute and a 4 minute interval - to Abba's Chiquitita!
AWESOME - loved it and felt FAB after! very positive too! And tried out new socks too!

Wed Feb 2nd - Aqua
Thursday 3rd - a beautiful sunny and warm day - and yet another Awesome one too!
Until today - i have never ever been able to 'run around' QV!
Today I did it TWICE! FIRST LAP - 31 MINS AND 2ND LAP - 29 MINS! NEGATIVE SPLITS TOO!
WOW! - thanks Annette!!!

Friday - Aqua
Saturday rest - great leg massage also in the afternoon - and enetertained at home in the evening too..

Sunday 6th Feb..10 weeks to go!
Another 8 miles on the agenda - a nice temperature, met Annette and Chantelle at Queens Valley - with a view to 4 laps -
it was tough; undulating all the way round - so much harder than last week - and I DID IT!
4 AND A BIT LAPS - another PB - 2 HOURS 21 MINS, ONLY 3 MINS SLOWER THAN LAST WEEK which was flat in comparison!!
Here is yesterday's breakdown (warts'n'all) from Annette and "Geraldine the Garmin".....
4 + circuits of an undulating/ small hills course on a hoggin trail. Total time taken: 8 miles in 2 hours 21 mins.

mile 1 17 min 19 sec (includes pee stop)
mile 2 19 min 34 sec (a little grumble about difficulty)
mile 3 16 min 42 sec
mile 4 17 min 34 sec
mile 5 18 min 12 sec (bit of a complaint about being seen)
mile 6 16 min 40 sec
mile 7 16 min 24 sec (bit of a complaint about being seen again)
mile 8 16 min 12 sec (bit of a discussion about how many times to cross the bridge)

How do I feel after this??? SORE BUT ELATED....
After all - IT'S ONLY PAIN innit??

We must all remember - PAIN IS TEMPORARY and GLORY IS FOREVER!

Monday Feb 7th
- was going for a swim but unable to 'cos of a tech prob at the pool - so went for a walk with Wendy - and then more stretching (& chatting!!!) - followed by 20 mins Aqua and water stretching....felt better after both of these...

No comments:

Post a Comment